Empowering women and children, especially girls and women to secure their rights and access services in Panchapuri Municipality of western Surkhet
The children’s group and youth group have succeeded in getting government jobs in various positions and claiming their rights. Family and community members felt that it was a good example that young people have had the opportunity to learn many things and develop their skills while engaging into the group.
Total 11 Child network, 11 youth network, 11 women network and 23 Women group, 16 youth group and 21 child group are actively engaged in Panchapuri municipality.
- The participation of women, children and youth in the community has increased in schools, Forest Committees, Water supply Committees, Consumer Committees, and access services in Agriculture and Animal Development sub-branches, health posts, and ward offices in the municipality.
- Women and children affected by violence come to the police, judicial committee and ward offices, these bodies now call the members of community groups and networks for facilitation and request them to help.
- All the women who have received financial support are doing good business and are earning income. Seeing that the members of the women’s group are earning income, other women in the community have also started doing businesses. After starting to earn income, the business women said that the family members also behaved well, the neighbors also trusted and the friends also behaved respectfully.
- In the municipality, the project has facilitated the creation of policies and mechanisms for women and children. It has facilitated to make the municipality more responsible for the issues of women and children. The project has been working to connect all the works done by the municipality for sustainable development mechanism.
- Women, youth and children’s groups and networks are conducting awareness programs for the reduction of domestic violence, child marriage and the end of Chhaupadi practices in the community. Listening to the victims of violence, taking them to the ward office, police office, and judicial committee for justice, writing petitions, and facilitating discussions. As a result, women and children affected by violence have started to raise their problems openly.
- The women and children groups formed by the organization have been listed in the women and children branch of the municipality for sustainable development. Youth groups have been listed in the Youth and Education Department. 10 groups of agricultural and animal husbandry entrepreneurs have been registered in the agriculture and animal sub-branch. As a result, the groups have been receiving more training and support.
- The interest of the group has increased in the process of formulating the annual plan of the ward and they have actively participated in the development work by forming a consumer committee. The members of the group have learned to submit plans to the ward.
- Earlier, it was thought that a person who commits violence in the community should not go through the legal process. At present, it is understood that anyone who commits violence is a criminal. The legal process was lengthy, they used to tolerate violence because it was costly, but now they are openly seeking help and do not tolerate violence.